The Feeling of Jazz – Spotlighting Ben Webster (Hr-1)
The Feeling of Jazz, program # 185 airing September 28, 2014 featured the tenor saxophone of Benjamin Francis Webster (March 27, 1909 – September 20, 1973), a.k.a. “The Brute” or “Frog,” in music presented by Kent Lindquist, while Bill Satterlee featured artists like Buddy Rich, Louie Bellson, Peggy Lee, Barney Kessel and more. Engineered by Dave Woodworth.
9 p.m. Hour – Music by Title, Artist, Album Composer, Time length
1. Sweet Georgia Brown, Buddy Rich, Sweet Georgia Brown, B. Goodman-C. Christian, 7:14 min.
2. The Touch of Your Lips, Ben Webster, Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson, Ron Noble, 6:17 min.
3. Ode to a Friend, Louis Bellson, Music Masters Jazz Sampler (Hot), Robert Millikan-Brian O’Flattery, 5:33 min.
4. Coal Train, Ben Webster, The Soul of Ben Webster, Ben Webster, 4:02 min.
5. You Don’t Know, Peggy Lee, Music Masters Jazz Sampler (Hot) (LP: Peggy Lee Sings the Blues), Walter Spriggs, 4:07 min.
6. In a Mellow Tone, Ben Webster, See You at the Fair, Duke Ellington, 4:24 min.
7. Easy Like (alt. take), Barney Kessel, Easy Like (Vol. 1), Barney Kessel, 4:04
8. Making Whoopee, Ben Webster, Soulville, Kahn-Donnelson, 4:29 min.
9. S’nice, Charlie Mariano, Charlie Mariano Plays, Charlie Mariano, 4:10 min.
10. Rockin’ and Rhythm, Ben Webster, For the Guv’nor, Duke Ellington, 5:22 min.