The Feeling of Jazz – Spotlight #2 on Jimmy Rowles (Hr-1)
The Feeling of Jazz, program # 189 airing November 9, 2014 featured more of the west coast piano sounds of Jimmy Rowles (born James George Hunter) (August 19, 1918 – May 28, 1996), continuing the theme from Oct. 19, 2014 in music presented by Kent Lindquist, while Bill Satterlee featured artists like Lew Tabackin, The Nat King Cole Trio, The Very Tall Band, Dizzy Gillespie and more. Engineered by Dave Woodworth.
9 p.m. Hour – Music by Title, Artist, Album Composer, Time length
1. Johnny Come Lately, The Lew Tabackin Quartet, Desert Lady, Billy Strayhorn, 3:56 min.
2. That Face, Jimmy Rowles Trio, Our Delight, Bergman-Spencer, 5:48 min.
3. (Get Your Kicks on) Route 66, The Nat King Cole Trio, The World of Nat King Cole, B. Troup, 3:00 min.
4. Fred, Zoot Sims-Jimmy Rowles, Getting Sentimental, Neil hefty, 5:43 min.
5. Ad Lib Blues, The Very Tall Band, What’s Up?, Lester Young, 10:20 min.
6. Stars & Stripes Forever, Jimmy Rowles Trio-Oscar Peterson-Ray Brown-Milt Jackson, Trio ’77/’78 (The Jazz Ball Label), John Phillip Sousa, 5:26 min.
7. Manteca (Theme), Dizy Gillespie & His Orchestra, The Verve Story 1944-1994, Chano Pozo-John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie-Walter Gilbert Fuller, 4:13 min.
8. You Go to My Head, Zoot Sims-Jimmy Rowles, Fox Lady Day, Gillespie-Coots, 5:45 min.
9. Cooking the Blues, Buddy DeFranco, The Verve Story 1944-1994, Eugene Wright, 6:57 min.