The Feeling of Jazz – Spotlight-2 on Ben Webster (Hr-2)
The Feeling of Jazz, program # 186 (Hr-2) airing October 5, 2014 featured more of the tenor saxophone of Benjamin Francis Webster (March 27, 1909 – September 20, 1973), a.k.a. “The Brute” or “Frog,” continuing the theme from Sept. 28, 2014 in music presented by Kent Lindquist, while Bill Satterlee featured artists like Beegie Adair, Dizzy Gillespie, Vince Guarldi, Stan Getz, Lionel Hampton and more. Engineered by Dave Woodworth.
10 p.m. Hour – Music by Title, Artist, Album Composer, Time length
1. I Could Write a Book, Beegie Adair, My Romance, Lorenz Hart-Richard Rodgers, 2:51 min.
2. Ev’s Mad, Ben Webster, The Sould of Ben Webster, Ben Webster, 4:21 min.
3. Lorraine, Dizzy Gillespie, Compact Jazz – Dizzy Gillespie, Dizzy Gillespie, 4:14 min.
4. Ill Wind, Ben Webster, Soulville, Harold Arlen-Ted Kohler, 3:30 min.
5. Days of Wine and Roses, Vince Guarldi, Greatest Hits, Henry Mancini, 5:23 min.
6. Drop Me Off in Harlem, Ben Webster, For the Guv’nor, Duke Ellington, 6:11 min.
7. Ballad Medley: Tenderly-Autumn in New York-East of the Sun (West of the Moon)-I Can’t Get Started, Stan Getz-Lionel Hampton, Hamp and Getz; Tenderly-Jack Lawrence/Walter Gross, Autumn in New York-Vernon Duke, East of the Sun(West of the Moon)-Brooks Bowman, I Can’t Get Started-Ira Gershwin/Vernon Duke, 6:53 min.
8. Just a Mood, Ben Webster-Harry Edison, The Complete Sextet Studio Sessions of Ben Webster and Harry Edison, Red Norvo, 6:53 min.
9. Ready ‘n Able, Charles Earland, B-3in’ (32 Jazz), Jimmy Smith, 6:47 min.