Local

Senate Trim Governor’s “Major Moves” 2015 Funding

Share Tweet Email

February 21, 2014 — Indiana Public Broadcasting–

 

An Indiana Senate committee Thursday eliminated a portion of transportation funding legislation that would have diverted some state dollars to boost local road funding.  Indiana Public Broadcasting’s Brandon Smith reports:

Last year’s budget set aside 400 million dollars for the Major Moves 2020 fund to be used for major highway projects in the future. Governor Mike Pence and INDOT want that money released now – and the House passed legislation doing just that while setting aside 24 million dollars for road funding at the local level. But Senate Appropriations Chair Luke Kenley – whose committee eliminated the local dollars – says that’s not what the Major Moves money was for:

The local governments – we gave them an extra hundred million dollars a year starting last year, so they got an opportunity to get some funds and some extra money last year in that way. And I don’t think we ought to change the purpose of it.”

Speaker Brian Bosma says he wants to see the 24 million put back in, particularly in light of the effect winter weather has had on road conditions:

Locals have a lot of challenges, especially with the amount they’ve spent on salt, record amounts in other maintenance, snow removal.”

The bill now heads to the Senate floor.

 

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This Page:

http://lakeshorepublicmedia.org/senate-trim-governors-major-moves-2015-funding/

* Required Fields