Officer Westerfield Funeral Today In Gary
July 14, 2014 — Organizers say they expect 600 to 1,000 law enforcement officers to attend today’s funeral of a Gary police officer slain in the line of duty. The funeral for Patrolman Jeffrey Westerfield is to be held at 11 a.m. at the Genesis Convention Center in Gary. Besides the law enforcement personnel from Indiana, Illinois and other states, hundreds of other people are expected to attend the funeral. Traffic in the area will be very heavy and there are some restrictions in place this morning, ahead of the funeral service.
The Indiana Department of Transportation wants drivers to be aware of several road restrictions in-and-around Gary on Monday, July 14th as hundreds of police officers and mourners from around the country are expected to pay their respects following the passing of Gary Police Officer Jeffrey Westerfield, who was killed in the line of duty.
Services will take place, and the funeral procession will begin, at Gary’s Genesis Convention Center (located on W. 5th Ave). Restrictions around this area are necessary to accommodate the many cars expected to take part. In addition, long delays are expected along the entire funeral route.
Restrictions (6:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. )
– 5th Avenue (U.S. 12/20): One lane of thru traffic open, between Madison and Broadway
– 4th Avenue (U.S. 12/20): One lane of thru traffic open, between Massachusetts and Madison
– Broadway (SR 53): One northbound lane of traffic open (no southbound traffic allowed), between 4th and 5th Avenue.
Restrictions During Funeral Procession (11:15 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. )
– Toll Road exit to Broadway (SR 53): Closed
– I-94 exit to Broadway (SR 53): Closed
– Long delays expected along entire funeral route, from Genesis Convention Center to Chapel Lawn Cenetery.