National Sports

Nadal withdraws from U.S. Open

Share Tweet Email

(AP) — Defending champion Rafael Nadal (rah-fay-ehl nah-DAHL’) has withdrawn from the upcoming U.S. Open because of an injured right wrist. The final Grand Slam event of the year starts next week in New York.

The 27-year-old Spaniard was hurt July 29 while practicing. The next day, Nadal said he had been told by doctors to wear a cast on his wrist for two to three weeks, but he hoped to be able to return in time for the Open.

This marks the second time in three years that Nadal has had to skip the tournament. He did not enter the U.S. Open in 2012, part of an extended absence because of a problem with his left knee.

This is only the fourth time in the Open era, which began in 1968, that the reigning U.S. Open men’s champion is not in the field.

 

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This Page:

http://lakeshorepublicmedia.org/nadal-withdraws-from-u-s-open/

* Required Fields