Local

Munster Pet Shelter Recovering from Fire

Share Tweet Email

July 3, 2013 — Dozens of animals are safe after a fire at the Calumet-area Humane Society in Munster.

Officials say the fire started in the laundry area Tuesday night. Development Director Stephanie Peterson says the laundry area and items inside were destroyed, leaving the shelter without towels and linens, but she said Wednesday morning that the community responded overwhelmingly with donations. “Our community has been so supportive. We cannot thank the generosity of people enough, bringing in both monetary and item donations that we need. We could lose all of our laundry and litter pans for the cats, so we desperately need blankets, pillows and towels, and a big cleanup. Monetary donations are helpful with the rebuilding.”

No animals or staff members were harmed during the fire, and animals were removed from the building due to smoke. Peterson says the Humane Society will reopen Friday, July 5.

The shelter needs large trash bags, bleach, disinfectant wipes, liquid laundry detergent, large towels, blankets and pet beds at 421 45th Avenue in Munster, preferably Thursday, July 4, 8am-2pm. Also, donation items are being accepted by Prompt Ambulance at three locations including the Prompt Ambulance on Express Drive in Highland, the Prompt facility along Broadway in Merrillville and along US Highway 6 in Valparaiso. Donations are also being taken online at hscalumet.org and by calling 922-3811.

 

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This Page:

http://lakeshorepublicmedia.org/munster-pet-shelter-recovering-from-fire/

* Required Fields