Valparaiso Motorcyclist Died in Monday Mishap

Share Tweet Email

June 17, 2013 — The Lake County Coroner’s office says 64-year-old John Arama is dead due to blunt force trauma suffered in a morning crash along Interstate 80/94 in Gary. The Coroner’s death notification shows Arama was a Valparaiso man who was pronounced dead at 6 a.m. near mile marker 7.9 for eastbound I-80.

Indiana State Police say eastbound I-80 is reopened now, though the crash closed it for almost four hours and caused fire to a car and semi-truck trailer.

ISP says its preliminary investigation shows that at approximately 3:37 a.m. a three-wheeled motorcycle was travelling eastbound on I-80 just east of Chase Street in the left middle lane, “when for unknown reasons the driver came off the motorcycle. The driver landed in the left middle lane and the motorcycle continued east for approximately ½ mile before it came to rest in the left lane.”

State Police say that a semi-truck, pulling a trailer loaded with a rail container that contained wheel rims, was going eastbound in left middle lane and could not avoid the motorcyclist in the roadway. ISP says the truck driver was not injured and no load was lost.

ISP says another driver, from Arizona, was driving a car eastbound in the left lane when she sideswiped Arama’s motorcycle that had stopped, driving to the right to avoid it and hitting the rear of a semi in left middle lane. ISP says the woman and her passenger escaped their car before it became engulfed by fire, going to Northlake Methodist Hospital in Gary with non-life-threatening injuries; both were wearing seat belts. ISP says the rear half of that trailer’s load of plastic racks were also damaged by the fire, yet that truck’s driver was not injured.

State Police say they diverted all lanes of eastbound I-80, routing them off at Burr Street until approximately 7:39 A.M. when the highway reopened.


Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This Page:


* Required Fields