Criminal Justice

Mattress Fire Sends Inmate to Hospital

Share Tweet Email

July 4, 2013 — The LaPorte County Sheriff says a county jail inmate got time in a hospital today, and he might get more time in jail.

Sheriff Michael Mollenhauer says 35-year-old Marzano R. Shelly of Michigan City was being held in the jail, awaiting trial in La Porte County for Murder, Robbery, Possession of a Firearm by a Violent Felon and Battery by Bodily Waste when he was taken from his cell was a mattress was burning. “As a result of the fire, one (1) inmate was transported to Indiana University Health, La Porte, as it is believed he suffered from smoke inhalation.”

The Sheriff says LaPorte County Jail staff responded around 12:52pm to the fire in a cell located in the south side of the LaPorte County Jail where deputies entered the affected cell to remove the lone inmate inside.

Mollenhauer says inmates in the immediate cell block area were relocated within the jail to ventilate the area. “The La Porte Fire Department and Jail Administration found no reason to evacuate the Jail, therefore all inmates remain secure within the Jail. . . No other inmates or Jail deputies were injured as a result of the fire and smoke.”

 

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This Page:

http://lakeshorepublicmedia.org/mattress-fire-sends-inmate-to-hospital/

* Required Fields