Law Enforcement Advice for a Secure Season
November 26,3013 — Besides consumer issues, holidays can present criminal problems.
The La Porte County Sheriff’s Department reminds people that holidays can make people victims of burglaries and thefts. It says thieves take advantage of this season when people leave homes unattended. The Sheriff reminds people to:
- Secure all doors and windows.
- Use automatic timers on lights when out of town.
- Have a neighbor/relative remove snow to give appearance as if someone is home.
- If you plan to be out of town for an extended period, stop mail or news- paper delivery.
- Report suspicious activity to law enforcement immediately.
- Record serial numbers to ALL valuables, and keep the list of numbers hidden.
- Do not place “big box items” or valuable item boxes at curb for recycling/garbage as this just advertises to potential thieves. Rather, break down boxes and/or turn boxes inside-out.
The Sheriff’s Department asks people to keep serial numbers to all electronics, weapons, and other valuables to increase the probability of solving a theft case.