Hoosier U.S. Attorney to Resign
July 14, 2014 — U.S. Attorney Joe Hogsett is resigning effective July 31.
Hogsett has been considered a possible Democratic candidate for Indianapolis mayor, governor or even U.S. senator.
But just in January, Hogsett said he planned to serve out his full term as U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Indiana, which would have run through past the 2016 elections, into 2017.
Now, Hogsett appears to have reversed that decision.
In a letter to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder this morning, Hogsett said it had been an honor to serve in the office for the last four years.
Congressman André Carson (IN-07) released the following statement in response to the announcement today that U.S. Attorney Joe Hogsett will resign at the end of this month:
“Joe Hogsett began his service in the U.S. Attorney’s Office with a vision to better protect Hoosier families. With his help, we have made progress combating violent crime in our neighborhoods, protecting Hoosier children from new and growing threats online and sending the unrelenting message that public corruption will not be tolerated. As a former law enforcement officer, I commend Joe for putting the bad guys behind bars and making it clear that our public servants serve the public, not themselves. His leadership has been outstanding, and his commitment to public safety in our city and state is unmatched. I look forward to seeing what his future holds.”
Indiana Public Media contributed to this report.