Governor Signs Highway Funding Bill
March 28, 2014 — Indiana Public Broadcasting —
Governor Mike Pence says he’s confident the Indiana Department of Transportation will receive the full 400 million dollars set aside by the legislature for major road construction projects. As Indiana Public Broadcasting’s Brandon Smith reports, Pence Thursday signed legislation authorizing the release of that money:
The General Assembly last year appropriated 400 million dollars into a transportation fund for future, long-term projects. After Governor Pence called on the legislature to release that money, lawmakers passed a bill transferring half of the money to INDOT now. Release of the other 200 million is subject to approval by the State Budget Committee…and that approval hinges largely on the December revenue forecast.. Pence says despite revenue struggles this fiscal year, recent job announcements give him confidence in the state’s economy:
“We’re making the kind of fiscal decisions that are going to ensure we end this fiscal year with a hundred million dollars in surplus and I’m very confident that we’ll be able at the end of the year, barring unforeseen circumstances, to be able to free up all of those dollars and put them to work in our economy.”
Senate Appropriations Chair Luke Kenley says the money needs to be focused on major improvements to the state’s highways. Pence says the dollars will go towards expanding roads such as Interstates 65 and 70.