Fall Brings Flu Shots Season to LaPorte, Starke Counties
September 17, 2013 — Indiana University Health’s La Porte VNA Services says it is administering flu shots “now until early winter as supplies last.”
It its offering discounted flu vaccinations to the public this fall in both La Porte and Starke counties.
“Running now until early winter as supplies last, vaccinations to protect against seasonal influenza and pneumonia are available to all those interested, ages 9 and older.”
IU Health LaPorte VNA Services has the flu shots at two clinic locations:
- 901 S. Woodland Ave. in Michigan City on Monday through Friday from 9 am to 3 pm (Central time). No appointments are needed; walk-ins are accepted.
- 6955 E. 600 N. in Hamlet by appointment only. Call 800.822.5378 to schedule.
VNA’s influenza vaccination costs $25, and pneumonia vaccination costs $75. VNA says it also has high-dose vaccinations for people ages 65 and older for $45, which are also covered by Medicare Part B.
It sites the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for the following flu advice:
- A yearly flu vaccine for everyone 6 months of age and older is the first and most important step in protecting against this serious disease.
- Children younger than 6 months are at high risk of serious illness, but are too young for the vaccine. People who care for them should be vaccinated instead.
- People at high risk of serious flu complications include young children, pregnant women, people with chronic health conditions like asthma, diabetes or heart and lung disease and people ages 65 and older. Vaccination is also important for healthcare workers, and other people who live with or care for high-risk people.
- The flu vaccine is designed to protect against the three main flu strains that research indicates will cause the most illness during this flu season.
IU Health La Porte and Starke hospitals, “recommend getting vaccinated, practicing good hand hygiene, coughing or sneezing into your sleeve or elbow and not your hand, and avoiding going in public when ill to prevent all cases of the flu.”
Indiana University Health La Porte Hospital is a part of Indiana University Health system.