Charges Unlikely Against LaPorte County Homeowner
July 9, 2013 — The Laporte County Sheriff says his department is recommending no charges be filed against a homeowner who fatally shot an intruder.
Sheriff Mike Mollenhauer says though his investigation is pending completion, so far it confirms the homeowner’s account of an altercation that left a Michigan man dead Monday after illegally entering a log-cabin-style home in a heavily wooded area of rural Laporte County.
He says the Hudson Township homeowner called police to report he had shot the intruder around 9:15 a.m.
Sheriff’s Department deputies reported that when they arrived they found the suspect dead from a single gunshot wound to the chest.
Mollenhauer says 23-year-old Jason Rabe from Three Oaks Township in Michigan broke into the home owned by a man whose name is being withheld for privacy reasons. Mollenhauer says he told police that he was asleep when he heard breaking glass and, armed with a pistol, began to search the house. Police say he found Rabe armed with a hatchet, and after a physical confrontation the homeowner shot Rabe.
The investigation suggests that Rabe entered the home through a rear window he had shattered. Mollenhauer says Rabe arrived at the home on a moped, choosing the residence at random. Police are still investigating the case.