Lakeshore News Tonight

Carbon Monoxide Deaths Bring Awareness Walk

Share Tweet Email

October 31, 2013 — More than 500 people in the United States die each year because of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.

Earlier this month a Merrillville family of four became a part of that grim statistic.  A gas-powered generator running in the family’s garage caused the fumes that killed 41-year-old Micheal Nichols, 38-year-old Kennetha Purnell and their children Morgan and Matthew.  Matthew was a student at Pierce Middle School.

Pierce Assistant Principal Nicholas Petralia visited with Lakeshore’s Kristyn Estes to talk about how students are walking this weekend to remember Matthew and his family and to prevent other carbon monoxide deaths.



Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This Page:

* Required Fields