Blood Donation Month Brings Request for Donors
January 1, 2014 by Jerry Howard
The American Red Cross is asking for blood donations, saying blood donations are especially needed during winter when donations typically decline as many regular donors are impacted by weather and seasonal illnesses.
It invites appointments to donate blood at redcrossblood.org or 1-800-RED CROSS, with the following blood drives during the next two weeks:
- Jan. 2, from 12:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. at St. Matthias church in the Hall, located at 101 Burell Drive in Crown Point. Donors get a 2-ounce brick of Dunkin Donuts coffee & a coupon for a FREE pound of Dunkin Donuts coffee.
- Friday, Jan. 3, from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Westminster Presbyterian Church in the Main Hall, located at 8955 Columbia Road in Munster. Donors get a 2-ounce brick of Dunkin Donuts coffee & a coupon for a FREE pound of Dunkin Donuts coffee.
- Saturday, Jan. 4, from 10:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. at Family Video, located at 1208 E. Glen Park Ave. in Griffith.
- Saturday, Jan. 4, from 3 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. at Family Video, located at 2939 45th St. in Highland.
- Tuesday, Jan. 7, from 1:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. at Highland Parks & Recreation Center in Classrooms 108 and 109, located at 2450 Lincoln St. in Highland.
- Tuesday, Jan. 7, from 2:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. at the Knights of Columbus, located at 13039 Wicker Ave. in Cedar Lake.
- Wednesday, Jan. 8, from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Jean Shepherd Community Center in Café A and B, located at 3031 Mahoney Drive in Hammond.
- Friday, Jan. 10, from 9:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. at BMO Harris Bank, located at 801 Joliet St. in Dyer.
- Friday, Jan. 10, from 2 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. at BMO Harris Bank, located at 915 Ridge Road in Munster.
- Sunday, Jan. 12, from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. at Our Lady of Grace in the Downstairs Cafeteria, located at 3005 Condit St. in Highland.
- Tuesday, Jan. 14, from 9:30 a.m. until noon at BMO Harris Bank, located at 10020 Calumet Ave. in Munster.
- Tuesday, Jan. 14, from 2 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. at BMO Harris Bank, located at 790 W. Lincolnway in Schererville.
The Merrillville Donor Center at 791 E. 83rd Avenue is open every Monday from 12:30 p.m. until 5 p.m. and the first and third Saturday of each month from 8 a.m. until noon.
The American Red Cross says all blood types are necessary to ensure a reliable blood supply for patients. It requires a blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification at donor check-in for individuals at least 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weighing at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
American Red Cross says it shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40% of the nation’s blood as a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. More related information is available at redcross.org or join our blog at http://blog.redcross.org.